Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Esthetic of Lostness: Epic Celtic Adventure

Part 4

FREEEEEDOOOOOM!

As you may have guessed from the title of today’s blog, the highlight of the day was visiting the William Wallace Monument in Stirling. If you’ve never seen the monument, it is a great tower outside of the city, overlooking the countryside on all sides. Inside, enshrined behind glass, is the sword of William Wallace himself, as well as panels and exhibitions celebrating his life and his service to his country.

To get to the monument, we first got a ride from our amazing B&B hosts, Tom and Mandy (they offered to drive so that we wouldn’t have to pay the extra 15 pounds for a cab). Then, rather than being wimps and taking the shuttle bus, we hiked up the trail to the tower. By the time we arrived, my calves felt like they were about to shred into a million pieces, and my chest was tighter than… (10 points if you get it (and no, its not uncle’s purse strings.).) I honestly didn’t mind however. I felt the pain was quite appropriate; since visiting this shrine was a special pilgrimage for me, the pain it took to get there seemed quite fitting, and I did feel much more worthy to be in Wallace’s monument than all the other people who had been driven up. This may sound quite silly, but it’s true, and I am, for once, being completely serious. William Wallace is one of my biggest heroes, and the trip to his monument was more important and spiritual to me than any pilgrimage to any “holy” place on this earth. It was a very humbling and rousing experience.

Ok. I’m going to have to cut this one short tonight. We have a very early train to Oban tomorrow so I need to get some sleep. Hope all is well with you peeps back home. Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment